Translate

Friday, July 13, 2007

Trying to stay updated

I run 5 Internet sites - 3 real estate oriented sites, a site for the Milford Historical Society and a site for my church. I'm not sure how I kind of added and accumulated sites, but I have. Now I have this blog site, too. It's getting to be more than I had thought it would be just to keep all of these sites updated. The church site is fairly static, with a once a month update and the Historical Society site is fairly random in terms of new stuff to post there (at least once or two things a month, normally). The three real estate sites are fairly different in their focuses, but still all three need to be kept up to date. Death on the Web smells a lot like state content.

So I find myself devoting many hours each day to just keeping things updated - adding content or updating things like prices of listings. Then there are the ancillary sites to mine that require attention. My listings appear on Realtor.com,with enhancements that I must keep updated. they appear also on the realestateone.com site, which again must be updated with any changes or open houses. I also post them on Craig's list, which expires every 90 days and requires a complete re-load every time. Then there's Open houses.com, to which I post all my open houses. So, you can see that just keeping up with the posting and updating needs of all of the sites can get time consuming. I also do all of my own virtual tours, which requires time to take the photos, edit them and then re create the tour itself. Tours must be updated too so the exterior pictures reflect the changing seasons. It just goes on and on. Still , it is worth it, since so much of the potential buyer pool uses the Internet so extensively to search for properties. I get lots of calls from people who have seen my listings on one of these sites and want to see the house in person. That's what it's all about.

No comments: