Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Is it time for a career change?


“Enjoy when you can. Endure when you must.” (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe). Those words from the blog Jack’s winning words, which I get a feed from every morning, certainly apply well to the real estate profession.

I do enjoy meeting and working with the people that I meet and the feeling of success of finding the right new home for clients; and, certainly going to closings is normally a joy (although some as just to be endured). I enjoy going through the nicer homes that people have kept up and are proud to show off. I also enjoy much of the Internet work that I do to market the houses and the virtual tours that I create. I enjoy maintaining my three real estate Web sites and making sure that the other sites that I use are updated. I enjoy writing my monthly newsletter and posting this daily blog.

What I must just endure are the long open house afternoons in empty houses, especially when no one comes to visit. And, the seemingly endless parade of cold, empty and run-down foreclosure houses that everyone wants to see these days. A day full of that can be fairly dismal. Of course there is the market itself, which has changed the behaviors of both buyers and sellers. And the home sellers who refuse to price to the market and yet can’t understand why their house isn’t selling. Those all kind of come with the territory, along with the seven-day work weeks.

On balance, though, there is more to enjoy than to endure and that’s why I stick at it. Like life in general and a good marriage, it takes work to make it worthwhile and enjoyable. So I get through the things that may not be as enjoyable and look forward to the things that are, and the rewards that go with them, both the money part and the on-going sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Now, you can be a part of this satisfying profession. Our company has a goal of hiring 300 more sales agents this year and has programs to provide license training to get you started. If you are in the 5-county Southeastern Michigan area, there is a good chance that there is a Real Estate One office near you. Email me for more on this program and become a part of our team. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: