Translate

Friday, August 14, 2009

It's not just about winning...

From the Blog Jack’s Winning Words comes this quote - “It isn’t about winning. It’s about helping others cross the finish line.” (Ann Guzdzial, Special Olympics) It started in Michigan in 1975, when, during a race, a runner fell and two others stopped, went back and helped him cross the finish line. The Special Olympics, founded by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, is built on that spirit. It’s not about winning, it’s about having the opportunity to participate. Congratulations to those who stop, reach out and help. This world needs more caring people.

I know that these thoughts were not meant to be applied necessarily to things like real estate, but I recall an early lesson that I got when I first got into the business. Our little agency had a very senior Realtor who acted as the trainer for the company. He always told newbies to do what’s right to take care of the needs of the customer and the rewards will naturally follow. In other words don’t be focused upon the money involved – the commissions – but focus instead on helping your client achieve their goal – buying or selling – and the compensation will follow. I’ve always tried to follow that advice.

I seldom tune in on any of the real estate shows that are on cable these days, but last night I was clicking through the menu and saw that a show that focused upon successful real estate agents was coming on within a few minutes. Curious, I switch to that channel. The show that night was about a local agent who also does work in his community to restore and preserve historic building – a good show and one that I can relate to. However, the startup montage of snippets from supposedly successful agents was a real turn off. It was series of quick cuts showing supposedly successful agents and a sound track saying things like “Get in and get out quickly or cut your losses”, “It’s all a numbers game”, “Volume is the secret”, “it’s not about winning and losing it only about winning” and others that I missed. What a turn off that was for me and I suspect for any potential customers who might have been watching. It certainly made our profession look like a bunch of insensitive, money-grubbers with little concern for the needs of the customers. I doubt that I would watch this show again.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I am trying to make a living at this business and right now it is very trying. I don’t consider myself to be some sort of bleeding heart liberal, but I do admit to being concerned first about doing the right thing for my clients and then worrying about what I will be paid for doing it. In these days of banks changing the commission rules on the fly and lenders sneaking in addendums that limit or change the commission that was offered in the listing, it’s often me who takes the hit for doing what is right for the client involved. They seldom see or understand the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that go on in deals these days. Nor should they. I’ll not work pro-bono, but I’ll also not hurt the interests of my clients, just to help myself. I may go home at night with a little less money, but I sleep well when I get there. That’s likely more than can be said about some to the characters that are in our business right now (or maybe so I would hope).

No comments: