Translate

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Make me feel that I matter…

From the Jack’s Winning Words blog comes this advice - “Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that’s says,” “Make me feel important.” (Mary Kay Ash). Jack added - I can imagine that Mary Kay used this in a pep talk to her sales people. I might adjust the sign to read: “Make me feel that I matter.”

What great advice and what a simple thing to do to make people fell better. Jack also related the story that was in the Detroit Free Press about General Motors CEO Rick Waggoner and how he used to greet the janitor every morning and inquire about his family. That janitor would tell people about that forever and how Rick was the only GM bigwig who took the time to recognize him. It made his day every time.

How many times each day do we get opportunities like that? Have you spoken to the clerk at the checkout? Did you say hi to someone on the street today? When you picked your child up at daycare, did you stop long enough to talk to the caregivers and let them know how important they are in your life? This isn’t rocket science; it’s just common courtesy, which all too many of us just don’t take the time for in our busy lives.

Even clients sometimes don’t get the personal touch that they deserve and need. I realize that in my dealings when my wife asks me some simple questions about my clients that I should know, but don’t – like “how many kids do they have?” or “what are the kids names and ages?” or even “why are they selling (or buying)?” Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the real estate process that I forget those all-important personal touches. I’ve got to use that Mary Kay technique of imagining a sign around the necks of my clients that says “Make me feel important, ask about my life.” In the final analysis, it’s not about the houses, it’s about the people.

No comments: