Translate

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Each and every day

“No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up.” (Gloria Starr, Business Consultant) from my favorite source for these short quotes – Jack’s Winning Words.
I think I’ve actually used that same quote before or something close to it, but it is always good to reinforce those thoughts.

Last year some time (I don’t exactly remember when), I started wearing a tie everyday to work again. I became know as the “guy in the tie” around the office and several agents asked why I wear it every day, even if I don’t have appointments with clients that day. My retort is that I owe my fellow workers the same level of professional respect as I’m trying to show for my clients. My clients are most often dressed very casually, as is the custom these days, and that’s fine with me. I still choose to project a look of business professionalism, which I hope carries through to how I actually conduct my business.

The “show up” part of that quote above is also important. We have mostly dual-career agents in our office right now, which means that most have other, often full-time jobs. They are doing real estate either as a supplement or with the goal in mind to someday get into it full-time. That’s fine and I wish them well; however, in real estate one must show up, be visible as a Realtor, put in the time as the agent on duty or with clients, in order to be successful. Too many part-timers seem to be of the opinion that putting in a one day a weekend or a few hours here and there will do it for them. It ain’t gonna happen! To pervert an old saying – “If you want to make a dime, you gotta put in the time.”

I would also add to the quote above – “get psyched up”. It’s important to start each day with some little personal motivational exercise that can get you in the right frame of mind for success. Sometimes I forget to do that and I’ll catch myself halfway through the day all down or tired feeling. I need to go back to Go and get myself up for the day. I need to see the challenges of the day as opportunities to excel. I need to see the frustrations for what they are – small blips on the road to success. I need to remind myself of my goals and the goals of my clients and focus upon those, instead of allowing my attention to be diverted by short-term adversities. It’s not always easy to get up and to stay up, but the alternative is a real bummer that I prefer to avoid.

Sportscasters always say about Tiger Woods that one of his biggest advantages on the tour is his ability to get focused and stay focused throughout the round. I try to stay focused upon my real estate business while I have that tie on. There'll be time to relax and enjoy other things when the tie comes off at night. So, if you see the guy in the tie; say hi! You’ll feel better. I’ll feel better. And we’ll both have a great day.

No comments: