Translate

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Has the dam burst and the pent up demand be loosed?


All of a sudden I’m busier that a one-legged man in a sack race. I have two accepted offers working a third in progress and two that I’m told by buyer agents will be in soon. I’ll also be writing an offer for one set of buyers that I’ve been working with and I have a new listing and two in the works. What the He** happened to cause all of this activity?

I certainly can’t blame it all on the $8,000 tax credit. Only two of these deals even involve anyone who even qualifies for that. I guess a bit of it is pent up demand, at least on the buyer side. On the sell side, I think a lot has to do with reality finally setting in and people needing to get on with life. They are more willing to list at reasonable prices these days.

Even in the face of 10%+ unemployment in Michigan, there seems to be some weird form of optimism taking over – thoughts that it can’t get much worse, so it’s time to come out of the foxholes and get on with life. Of course, some portion of this activity, at least on the sell side, is the result of 1-2 years of fighting with sellers to get them to let go of the past and price to the market. It’s amazing how “fast” a property will sell when you get it priced right, even after 2 years on the market.
There have been many articles written about the so-called pent-up demand in the real estate system – people who have been putting off new home purchases until the economy settled down a bit. Maybe we‘re seeing some of that in the current up tick in real estate. Whatever is causing it, I certainly welcome the change.

No comments: