Translate

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Remembering Things, People & Places


I saw a car yesterday with more than one bumper sticker that had to do with remembering the Korean War. I don't actually have many memories of that war; but,for me that immediately conjured up other memorable events that seem to define our lives (at least as we all get older). I remember Viet Nam, because I was there. I remember the day that President Kennedy was shot. In fact, like so many in my generation, I remember where I was and what I was doing at the moment that the news flash hit the TV screens. I'm sure that many younger people remember where they where when the news of John Lennon's death hit the news. And, I'll certainly never forget the happenings of 9/11/2001, which is another day for which I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the TV started covering that horrific event.

Last night, I was also reminded of the importance of the people that we meet in our lives. I went to one of the semi-annual get-togethers of the local Digital Alumni group. These are all people who worked for the non-defunct Digital Equipment Corporation in this area during the 70.s, 80' and 90's. Digital was one of the pioneer companies in the computing industry and one of those that went belly up or got bought out (the Digital fate), when it's management failed to recognize too many signs of change in the industry. Last night I ran into Will and Guy and Patrice and Dick and Ed and Tom and so many more of the friends that I worked with in the heyday of Digital. We get together to reminisce and to catch up with each other's lives. It's always a bit poignant, and perhaps a bit pathetic; but, also good just to see each other again - sort of our version of the old high school reunion. Our touch point is Digital Equipment, but our real interest is in staying in touch with each other.

The other thing that I realized was that I remember fairly vividly all of the houses that I’ve owned over time. The rentals in the early days, not so much; but the ones I've actually owned I can remember in fairly good detail. I suspect that's because the houses that you own become "homes"; and homes occupy a special place in our hearts and minds. My wife and I have great memories of the first home that we owned, a nice little ranch in Indiana; even though, when we went back to see it again a few years back it had somehow shrunk significantly and was no longer the palace that we once saw it to be. Our kids went through their toddler years there and we'll never forget those years - especially the time that our three year old daughter, Christie, and her best friend Robbie climbed the trellis out back and ended up running around on the roof. Both she and we survived that incident; although, I still believe that incident was the start of grey hairs for both Carolyn and me.

So I guess the point is that; in life, both the huge events that define eras and the little events that portray everyday living are context sensitive and we always remember "where we were when." The homes that you own will be a big part of that context. There is an old saying in real estate that you sell a house, but you buy a home. One of the reasons that I enjoy the real estate business is that I get to help people find new homes that will for some period of time define the context for their lives. Call me and I'll help you find a new home in which to begin building your memories - one without a trellis out back.

No comments: